Monday, September 22, 2014

Preparations for My Thanksgiving Dinner Party Have Begun,,

Up till few years ago, I used to love giving dinner parties and having lots of people over. As it became more and more difficult to cope with my anxiety, this much loved activity dropped off to only the major family holidays and even those became more of a chore than a joy. For the first time in a long time, I am looking forward to a house full of people, the planning, the preparing  - all for the most part anxiety free! Since diagnosis and starting medication I feel like I am getting to know ME all over again. Accepting my ADD and running with it,, LOL



In my own true style, that I am really beginning to embrace,  planning a great dinner party for me came with extensive research on Pinterest. I know, big mistake. So many options, so little time in my day. Oh my, I just spend an hour on Pinterest!  So many creative ideas all in one place! So the  'Dinner Party Board" (feel free to browse) on my Pinterest was born.





 
In my research I found a really cool 'Thanksgiving Planner' online and if you click on the link yumsugar.com it will take you to her site and she has a free printable version. Those of you that struggle with adult ADD know it is hard to stay the course with out a million other things distracting you  - funny - I was never aware how distracted I was till I am trying to be conscious of it.

So, back to the dishes and party favors. Well, the part of my brain that is just a little OCD likes things to be all matchy matchy. Not just in color - but I also have a thing for numbers. Some things need to have odd numbers,, like candle sticks in a cluster or photo frames. Even numbers are boring, unless the items are flanked on either side of a really cool center piece - but I digress.

So, as I went about spray painting my chargers I realized I was short. Not as in my stature, but I had 30 white plates and only 24 chargers. Back in the car I go, off to the $store, which required a Home Hardware trip for more spray paint. (I may have been perusing the isles of the $Store for dinner party favor ideas). Got the favor boxes - no need to make them myself. Needed to take one more quick stop, at Michael's, in Kelowna, 20 minutes away.... They need to look pretty. LOL

It was a successful hunt - for chargers, spray paint and little boxes. I searched and searched at Michael's for just the right thing to put on my favors.. no luck. Home I go to pillage my scrapbooking supplies! There has to be something in there.. Eureka! Found all sorts of goodies. I can breath and clean up the mess I made pulling out my scrapbooking supplies.

Now I feel, almost ready, to tackle thanksgiving. My planner is printed on my fridge, now to actually post the menu plan for the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment